Solutions to Make Better Decisions with Your Taxes and Money

I made a mistake on my return. What do I do?

Q&A Series - TaxAct Blog

Q&A Series - TaxAct BlogMistakes happen

Once you realize you made a mistake or forgot to include an important piece of information, how you handle it depends on the situation. For instance, if you entered an incorrect Social Security Number (SSN) for yourself, your spouse or a dependent, you need to fix it.

If you missed an income item that affects the amount of tax you owe, you also need to tell the IRS before they discover it. If they find it before you inform them of the mistake, they may penalize you.

If you found a small item you should have deducted, like a $5 receipt, there’s a good chance you don’t need to do anything. It’s probably not worth the trouble as more than likely it won’t have a huge impact on your return.

Click here for more information on when and how to amend your return.

TaxAct makes preparing and filing your taxes quick, easy and affordable so you get your maximum refund. It’s the best deal in tax. Start free now or sign into your TaxAct Account.
About Mark J.

Mark J. is a tax analyst at TaxAct.