Loader gif
Jump to main content

Don’t Be Afraid to File Your Own Taxes If You’re Self-Employed

Self-Employment Tax Planning
A young woman wearing glasses and a blue shirt works on her laptop.

Start Your Self-Employed Tax Return Now

Backed by our $100k accuracy guarantee.

When it comes to “being your own boss,” Americans seem to have it covered. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were about 9.6 million self-employed workers in 2016. This number is projected to grow to 10.3 million by 2026 — a 7.9-percent increase.

But when tax season rolls around, many self-employed taxpayers hire tax professionals and shell out hefty income tax return preparation fees instead of filing their own taxes. Learning how to file taxes only comes to mind for some.

That’s all well and good, but if you’re self-employed and looking to save, DIY-ing your taxes — or using paid tax software like TaxAct®— might be your best and cheapest filing option, especially if you’ve got minimal expenses. You’ll need to track your expenses and calculate deductions even if you hire a tax professional to file on your behalf. If you’d like to cut down on preparation fees, consider giving it a shot on your own first. Here’s what you need to know if you plan to try it out.

The skinny on tax software

If you’re comfortable with online filing, many tax software companies offer specialized services for small business owners. There’s no need to be a tax expert–that’s what we’re here for! Simply gather your forms, relevant business expense receipts, and other financial documents. Then you’re ready to jump right into the tax prep software and follow its prompts. If you’ve got questions, TaxAct in particular has a feature called Xpert Assist that allows you to connect with a real tax expert who can answer any questions you have*.

Another good resource to check out is the IRS self-employed online tax center.

How to treat the home office deduction

“More than half of all businesses in the U.S. are home-based, so it’s not going to be something startling to the IRS to see a home office deduction,” says Barbara Weltman, author of “J.K. Lasser’s Small Business Taxes 2018.”

In fact, the IRS’ stance is if you have a space you use regularly and exclusively for business, you should take advantage of the home office deduction. If that idea gives you pause, know that taking the home office deduction doesn’t automatically mean you’ll get audited.

The key to claiming any deduction is making sure you follow the rules. The IRS outlines them all here, but one thing to be sure of is that your office space is your principal place of business and is used regularly and exclusively for work. That means it doesn’t perform double duty as a guest room or anything else. (It doesn’t necessarily have to be a separate room, though. A corner of your bedroom with a desk, computer, and files can work as long as you use it exclusively for business.)

In calculating the deduction, you have two options. One is to claim the simplified home office deduction, where you deduct $5 per square foot of your home office (up to $1,500 and 300 square feet). The second is to calculate all of your actual expenses, which includes both direct and indirect costs. For indirect costs, items like mortgage interest, taxes, maintenance costs, insurance and utilities, you must determine what percentage of the total cost was used solely for your business space. Only that portion is tax deductible – not the entire cost.

And, as a final note, regardless of which method you choose, your deduction is limited to your net business income. That means, if you experienced a business loss for the year, the home office deduction will not decrease your tax liability further.

The lowdown on self-employment tax

There’s no doubt being self-employed is a little more complicated when it comes to taxes than working for a traditional employer. As a self-employed individual, you have to calculate and pay the self-employment tax (SE), which covers your tax requirements for the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA). FICA funds Social Security and Medicare. When you work for a traditional employer, your employer covers half of the tax for you. You, of course, pay the other half.

But, when you’re self-employed, you are on the hook for all of it since you’re both the employer and the employee. The self-employment tax is 15.3 percent of your self-employment income and is separate from the federal income tax. To cover that added cost, it’s worth planning out your cash flow for the entire year and understanding “you’re not just paying regular income tax — that you’re paying this additional amount of 15.3 percent,” says Andrew Oswalt, tax analyst at TaxAct.

Get your quarterlies straight

You’ll generally need to pay quarterly estimated taxes if your tax liability for the year is $1,000 or more. Since the IRS expects to receive tax payments as you earn your income, you’ll likely need to make estimated tax payments four times a year — in April, June, September, and January. The first payment for the current year is due the same day as the current year’s tax return on Tax Day. Even if you file an extension, you’ll still need to pay that same day.

To avoid feeling strapped for cash when each payment deadline comes around — and to avoid the steep underpayment penalties if you don’t pay enough throughout the year — it’s important to account for all of your tax responsibilities ahead of time and set that money aside.

“When you don’t pay quarterly tax payments, or you don’t pay enough tax by the due date of each payment period, you may be charged a penalty at the end of the year, even if you’re due a refund,” says Holly Reisem Hanna, founder of The Work at Home Woman. “Be sure to mark your calendar for the quarterly tax due dates.”

The best way to plan for your quarterly payments is to follow the estimated tax safe harbor rule, which says to pay 90 percent of the tax shown for the current year’s return or 100 percent of what you owed the previous tax year. “For most people, it’ll be 100 percent of what you paid the previous tax year,” says Weltman. If you are married and had an adjusted gross income over $150,000 in the previous tax year (or over $75,000 if married filing separately), you’ll likely pay the lower of two options.

To make it simple, TaxAct can help you quickly calculate the amount you owe and set up quarterly payments, so you’re covered throughout the year. You can also use a self-employed tax calculator to get an idea of what you owe in taxes.

*Xpert Assist is available as an added service to users of TaxAct’s online consumer 1040 product. Unlimited access refers to an unlimited quantity of expert contacts available to each customer. Service hours limited to designated scheduling times and by expert availability. Some tax topics or situations may not be included as part of this service. Review of customer return is broad, does not extend to source documents and not intended to be comprehensive; expert is available to address specific questions raised by customer. Offer for Free TaxAct® Xpert Assist may expire at any time. View full TaxAct Xpert Assist Terms and Conditions.
Price paid is determined at the time of filing and is subject to change. All TaxAct offers, products and services are subject to applicable terms and conditions.

Start Your Self-Employed Tax Return Now

Backed by our $100k accuracy guarantee.

Related Articles

Refer a friend, Get $20.

Learn More