Loader gif
Jump to main content

Are unemployment benefits taxable?


Updated for tax year 2017

Text showing Q&A with TaxAct logo

When do I need to file a tax return? - Q&A SeriesIs this even taxable?

In short – yes, any unemployment tax benefits you receive should be included as taxable income on your return.

However, you do not pay Social Security or Medicare tax on unemployment tax benefits.

To help accurately report the income on your return, you should receive Form 1099-G. This form lists the total unemployment compensation paid to you.

Start for free Sign In

Related Articles