Find more information about your West Virginia state taxes below.
Where’s My West Virginia Tax Refund?
Check the status of your West Virginia refund using these resources.
State: West Virginia
Refund Status Phone Support: 1-304-558-3333
Hours: 8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m.
General Tax Information: 1-800-982-8297
Email Tax Support: TaxHelp@WV.Gov
2017 State Tax Filing Deadline: April 17, 2018
Note: Please wait at least eight weeks before checking the status of your refund.
West Virginia Tax Brackets
The West Virginia state income tax is similar in structure to the federal income tax. Based on filing status, here’s a look at the brackets.
|Tax Rates||Single Filers / Married Filing Jointly / Heads of Household||Married Filing Separately|
West Virginia Taxable income
To calculate total taxable income in West Virginia, there are a variety of income types a taxpayer can subtract from his or her adjusted gross income.
- West Virginia Teachers’ Retirement System benefits
- Public Employees’ Retirement System benefits
- Contributions to savings plan trust funds
- West Virginia prepaid tuition contributions
- Active military personnel salary
- Up to $8,000 in income for people who are disabled or age 65 or older
- EZ Pass deductions of up to $1,200
Unlike many other states, Social Security income is considered taxable income.