Find more information about your West Virginia state taxes below.
Where’s My West Virginia State Tax Refund?
Check the status of your West Virginia state tax refund using these resources.
State: West Virginia
Refund Status Phone Support: 1-304-558-3333
Hours: 8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m.
General Tax Information: 1-800-982-8297
Email Tax Support: TaxHelp@WV.Gov
2019 State Tax Filing Deadline: July 15, 2020
Note: Please wait at least eight weeks before checking the status of your refund.
West Virginia Tax Brackets
The West Virginia state income tax is similar in structure to the federal income tax. Based on filing status, here’s a look at the brackets.
|Tax Rates||Single Filers / Married Filing Jointly / Heads of Household||Married Filing Separately|
West Virginia Taxable income
To calculate total taxable income in West Virginia, there are a variety of income types a taxpayer can subtract from his or her adjusted gross income.
- West Virginia Teachers’ Retirement System benefits
- Public Employees’ Retirement System benefits
- Contributions to savings plan trust funds
- West Virginia prepaid tuition contributions
- Active military personnel salary
- Up to $8,000 in income for people who are disabled or age 65 or older
- EZ Pass deductions of up to $1,200
Unlike many other states, Social Security income is considered taxable income.
Where’s My West Virginia Tax Refund?
If you are a paper return filer, it would take up to 12 weeks from the day your return was received by the West Virginia State department. When it comes to e-filed returns, they can be processed quickly than paper-filed returns. In case of first-time filers, it would take around three weeks more that the paper-filed return.
Which are the factors that can cause delay in my West Virginia Tax Refund?
Below are few factors that can cause delay in West Virginia State Tax Refund:
- Your return was incomplete.
- There are certain Math errors in return
- When the department needs to check details reported on the return or request more information. This is a generally a time-consuming process.
- You use multiple form types to finish your return