Find information about your Idaho state income taxes below. Check your filing status and refund for any state.
Where’s My Idaho State Tax Refund?
Check the status of your Idaho refund using these resources.
Refund Status Website: https://idahotap.gentax.com/tap/_/
Refund information: https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1187.cfm
Refund Status Phone Support: 1-208-334-7660
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m MT
Email Tax Support: email@example.com
Online Contact Form: tax.idaho.gov/contact
2020 State Tax Filing Deadline: May 17, 2021
Typical Idaho Refund Timeframes
- E-filers: Expect your refund about seven to eight weeks after you receive an acknowledgment that we have your tax return
- Paper filers: Expect your refund about 10 to 11 weeks after we receive your return. We must manually enter information from paper returns into our database
Idaho Refund Exceptions
- First-time filers: It takes about three weeks to enter new filers into the system. Until that time, your return will be listed as “not entered in system.” Be sure to add three weeks to the estimates above to determine an accurate refund timeframe.
- Filers who received a letter from the state of Idaho asking for more information: Your refund will be delayed until the requested information is submitted. It then will take about six more weeks to finish the process.
Idaho State Tax Brackets
Idaho residents are taxed on income from all sources except Social Security and railroad retirement benefits. Idaho nonresidents are taxed on Idaho source income while people who live in Idaho for part of the year are taxed on income received while they are living in Idaho. Based on filing status and income level, there are seven different marginal income tax brackets.
That means your income is taxed at every tax bracket that it qualifies. For example, if your income is $20,000 a year, you pay 1.13 percent tax on the first $1,541, 3.13 percent on the income between $1,541 and $3,081, and 3.63 percent on the income between $3,081 and $4,622. That progression continues until you exhaust your total earnings within the income thresholds.
Idaho’s 2020 income tax rates range from 1.125% to 6.925%. The amount of taxable income and your filing status will determine your tax bracket. You can always check the Idaho State Tax Commission website for more information on the current tax rates.
If you need more information on how federal tax brackets work you can use our federal tax bracket calculator.
Idaho State Tax Deductions
Idaho taxpayers can claim the standard deduction or choose to itemize their deductions, whichever option results in a higher dollar value is the most advantageous choice. For instance, if your itemized deduction total is more than the standard deduction, you’ll likely want to itemize. The Idaho standard deduction amounts are the same as the federal standard deduction. For 2020:
- Single or married filing separately – $12,400
- Head of household – $18,650
- Married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) — $24,800