File your taxes with confidence.
Your max tax refund is guaranteed.
Filing for a tax extension can give you peace of mind if you’re struggling to meet the Tax Day deadline. Here’s what you need to know about tax extensions before, during, and after you apply for one.
A tax extension gives you an extra six months to file your tax return (but not more time to pay any tax owed). To file an automatic tax extension, you must file Form 4868 before the Tax Day deadline. If you file with TaxAct®, we can help you complete Form 4868 and submit it to the IRS on your behalf.
Before you file a tax extension
Before you file a tax extension, it’s good practice to know what it entails. Here are some tips to make the process go smoothly and some examples of good reasons to file a tax extension.
- Tips for First-Time Extension Filers: Is this your first time filing for an extension? Here are some tips to remember, from making sure you e-file to avoiding tax penalties.
- 5 Reasons to File a Tax Extension: There are some good reasons to file for a tax extension. Learn more about when and why applying for one might be a good idea.
As you’re filing a tax extension
Filing a tax extension sounds difficult, but the IRS generally grants them automatically when you file Form 4868. Read up on some common FAQs and general guidelines to help you have a good filing experience.
- The Ultimate Guide to Filing a Personal Tax Extension for 2023: This article covers everything from tax extension basics to in-depth answers to common questions.
- 5 Tips for Tax Extension Filers: Follow these five pointers to help ensure you have a good tax extension experience this year.
- Racing the Clock: How to Beat the Tax Filing Extension Deadline: Scrambling to complete your return before midnight on Tax Day? Here are some tips to keep in mind and when it might be a good idea to request an extension.
- 7 FAQs About Tax Extensions: Who qualifies for a tax extension, and can you also get an extension for your state income tax return? This article answers these questions and more.
Filing a business tax extension
While similar to personal tax extensions, business tax extensions come with some unique rules. Here you’ll find a comprehensive guide to business tax extensions and some tips to make sure you meet the deadline.
- Your Guide to Filing a Business Tax Extension for 2023: Getting your business documents in order before Tax Day can be stressful. Thankfully, you can file a tax extension for your business as well.
- Tips to Meet the Small Business Income Tax Filing Extension Deadline: Did you already file for a business tax extension? Learn how to make a plan to ensure you’re prepared for the tax extension deadline later this year.
After you file a tax extension
The process doesn’t end after you’ve filed for an extension—you should still file your income tax return as soon as possible. We’ve put together some pointers to help you file an accurate return before the October tax extension deadline.
- What to Do After Filing a Tax Extension: So, you filed for a tax extension. What comes next? Learn more about what to expect.
- 4 Things to Consider After Filing a Tax Extension: Here are four things to remember as you prepare for the tax extension deadline.