Loader gif
Jump to main content

How to File a Tax Extension


Do you need more time to file your income tax return? Don’t sweat it — with TaxAct®, it’s easy for taxpayers to get a tax extension.

E-file your IRS tax extension form for free with TaxAct.

TaxAct supports the completion of Form 4868 Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Income Tax Return for your federal income tax return, as well as any necessary extension forms for your state tax extension, if applicable.

Remember, Form 4868 must be filed by the regular due date of the return. This year, the tax deadline is Monday, April 18, 2022.

Important information about tax return extensions

Please note that filing an extension only extends your tax filing deadline and does not give you extra time to pay any tax due.

To avoid late payment penalties and interest you must estimate what tax will be due and pay your tax bill when you file the extension form. And don’t worry about overestimating your tax payment — if you overpay, you’ll be able to reclaim the excess as a tax refund.

All TaxAct offers, products and services are subject to applicable terms and conditions.

File a Tax Return Extension for Free Sign In

Related Articles